"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14 ESV, emphasis added)
MAIN IDEA - Your faith won't grow without intentionality and intensity.
What pressing on with intentionality looks like practically:
- Young - leave impatience behind and press on towards maturity because you still have a lot to learn.
- Old - leave the entitlement of being a “Curmudgeon” and press on in training the next generation because you have a lot to teach.
- Parents - press on to deepen your faith so you are better prepared to lead your children because you have a great responsibility.
- Students - press on to make your faith your own because you have a lot of energy, focus it … respectfully.
- Believers - press on in serving and building community because you have been uniquely gifted.
- Non-believers - press on in seeking the Lord, because you are close to the kingdom.
What pressing on with intensity looks like practically:
- Press on in aiming for completeness (lacking in nothing - James 1:4).
- Press on in aiming for depth of experience, not just amassing head knowledge.
- Press on with the intensity of a soldier, an athlete, and a farmer (2 Tim. 2:3-6).
- Press on keeping Jesus as your focus and keeping Him primary, in all areas of life, not just on Sundays.
Pressing on with intentionality and intensity only emerges as we see Jesus more clearly.