For the record, as of today:
- Weight loss = 34.2 lbs. (the lowest I've been since ... probably ... mid-high school).
- Calories per day = still at 1340 (still usually under, weekend's are rough though).
- Workouts = Wii Fit Plus, step (at least 30, sometimes 60 minutes a day, at least 5 times a week).
- Stress = Low (I think) and manageable.
I had my follow-up appointment yesterday about my echocardiogram, here's what I know now:
- Diagnosis = Cardiomyopathy. Here is how WebMD defines it, "Cardiomyopathy, or heart muscle disease, is a type of progressive heart disease in which the heart is abnormally enlarged, thickened, and/or stiffened. As a result, the heart's ability to pump blood is weakened, often causing heart failure and the backup of blood into the lungs or rest of the body."
- What that means = For any number of factors my heart has weakened over the years and has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 - 15% of its function.
- Prognosis = With the right combination of maintenance drugs (that I'll probably be on forever) I can gain back up to 10% of what was lost. I've started 1, and once the dosage is dialed in, I start a blood thinner as well. I have to follow-up with the doctor in 3 months.
- How I feel about that = I'm encouraged. I know what's wrong. I know what needs to be done in order to deal with it. I've come to grips with the fact that I'm not getting younger. I accept that I am on a permanent medication. This doesn't stress me out. It reminds me of my frailty and need to listen to the wisdom of others.
I want to thank all those who are praying for me; it is felt and appreciated. As needed, I will keep you updated.